The Writers Alliance is a writing group dedicated to respondIng to news events and actions or inactions of our legislators as well as to promote progressive solutions to community problems. To do this, our primary target will be submit-ting letters to the editor for publication. We also plan to increase our social media presence and work toward writing and submitting op-ed and viewpoint articles.
The Writers Alliance is a multi-county effort, composed of different task groups working on various aspects of this project. The plan is to have one or more coordinator in each county guide the work of their county’s task groups. The county coordinators will work together to organize and support the task groups. Each county unit will have five task groups—writers, researchers, editor, responders, and a social media cadre.
· Writers, with the support of the other task groups, will generate original content to comment on news events and the work of public officials. Our writers will also work on advancing progressive policy initiatives through letters, op-ed and viewpoint articles, and social media posts.
· Researchers will help find and develop talking points on designated policy issues and provide our writers with the evidence they need to make factual arguments.
· Editors will assist writers by reviewing and editing work as needed.
· Our Social Media Cadre will help get the word out by posting published and unpublished pieces on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
· Responders will post supportive comments for published letters and/or social media posts by commenting on newspaper sites and social media.
Working as a unit, we can place our message in multiple sites to reach our target audiences of Democrats, unaffiliated Liberals/Progressives, and the No Party Preference voters who are open to solutions rather than partisan rhetoric and rancor.
Putting It Write
We all have a lot to say. Let’s use our collective writing, researching, editing, and social media talents to share our ideas and viewpoints with our neighbors and our communities. Join us for these two practical and informative seminars and become a member of our Writers Alliance.
Thursday, May 6th
Putting It Write: Writing Effective Letters to the Editor
While there’s no magical formula, published letters share common character-istics. Become familiar with the guidelines
to structure an effective letter and/or social media post.
Thursday, May 20th
Putting Our Talents to Work: Building a Writers Alliance
Our Writers Alliance is a multi-county collective of talents—writers, research-ers, editors, and publicists. In what role or roles do you see yourself?
This project is a cooperative effort of the
Placer County Democratic Party Community Engagement Committee,
El Dorado Democratic Party, and the
El Dorado Progressives, in conjunction with Sierra Forward.